Wednesday, November 24, 2010

the body is a temple and a wild vessel

(I wrote this about a week and a half ago--sorry for the tardy post)

I slept at the hospital last night.

When I woke up at around 830 in the morning, one of alexis' nurses
came rushing into the room with a smile on her face. She spoke as if
little happy face bubbles were flying out of her mouth.
Alexis'neutrafills, or as I like to call them, new-trees,   had
multiplied to an excitement worthy amount. Except still not enough to
send her home.

To watch and wait and be part of this, alexis' battle, is both an
experience I'd rather she not have to go through, but is one that I am
honored to be going through with her. Like I said, she makes this
cancer stuff seem easy. And as uncomfortable as she might be, when the
doctor comes to ask of her complaints, she shrugs her shoulders,
gently shakes her head from side to side, smiles and says in her soft
tone, "I feel fine".

Man, the body is such a wild vessel. The way the physical plays with
your emotial and mental well being is pushed to all limits. And to
watch alexis go through all of this is in some ways fascinating. The
way her mental effects her physical  is something worth mentioning.
She brings the idea of mind over matter to the plate and man is she a
heavy hitter. --and even when she's down, there's always a piece of
her that is fighting. Rampantly. Fighting stronger mentally, than her
body is fighting against her.

No comments: