Wednesday, November 24, 2010

can't hear past the crunching

It was Wednesday of last week. I had gone to the beach to catch a few last minute rays. I also tried to finish a book I had borrowed from the hospital.

At around 3pm I was getting antsy--I brushed off the sand from my sun kissed body and made a mad dash for the apartment.

I had my key in hand, but, surprised and nervous, the door was left open. I couldn't figure it out. Why was the door left open? Was someone robbing the place? Did I leave it unlocked? Omg! Debbie was going to be so angry. But, it wasn't any of that, and Debbie certainly wasn't going to be angry.

I opened the door and...ALEXIS was sitting INSIDE!

I stood. Staring. Tears brewing in my eyes. Remnants of sand stinging between my toes. I knew I needed to take a shower, but I just looked at her, she at me, staring, smiling and tears full of joy. Lex got a day pass and I got a surprise. The best of it's kind. Lex was slowly making her way home.

To celebrate, we made a yummy meal--well, Debbie made a delicious chicken stew and I made a bowl of vegetables...:)

We also took a load off on the balcony off Alexis' room--the two of us sat there, talking and engaged in fun activity. We invited Debbie down. A couple minutes later we were all hungry and took a trip to the AM:PM downstairs.

The image of seeing Alexis in the AM:PM is something I will never forget. She was free. She could pick whatever she wanted and no one was stopping her. Our little mission down to the store brought back memories of the days, the honey moon period, before she had the transplant. The days were we would wander and stroll the streets, stop in at candy shops or sit for a delicious salad. I was feeling very positive--everyone was.

We went upstairs--threw everything we bought into bowls, including the likes of Carriot cereal (the chocolate filled puffs), cinamon toast crunch, peanuts and zatar crackers. We all tried to watch Ellen but none of us could hear past the crunching. It was so loud! And no one cared! We were just happy! The 3 of us sitting on the couch, eating, smiling and crunching!

No comments: