Sunday, January 16, 2011

Trying to find comfort in memories...

Last night I was out with one of my closest girlfriends...for the first time in a while, the words that were coming out of my mouth were memories. I was laughing without crying. Crying inside. I still haven't found the type of waterproof mascara Lex recommends.

As I told Debbie, and as I've told my closest friends and family, in no shape or form did i see lex as someone with cancer. to this day. I never will. I see the girl who made me laugh by doing nothing at all. I see the smiley face of a vivacious woman. I see her sitting at the kitchen table, and what a surprise that was that one Wednesday, with a smile and tears of joy. She said, "i cut an apple." And even when we were in the hospital, it never felt like a hospital room.

She was hysterical. The doctors told her to get as much exercise as possible and in any form. So, one day, all of a sudden, a marching band appeared on the television screen and Lex and I stood up and started to march together. To march together meant marching forward. We will march forward for lex. Slowly. But we will march forward.

No comments: